- Nov 17, 2018
- Dec 15, 2018
. But owners of pets have to pay attention to amount of food which is engrossed by their pet in time to notice a disease and to take necessary measures for its elimination. When the cat refuses food completely, it is a reason for the address to the veterinarian and the serious reason for concern of the owner of an animal.
of the Cause of failure
The reasons of small appetite or its total absence can be connected with deterioration in the state of health of a pet. It can be one of disease symptoms therefore the owner of an animal should know what to do if the cat refuses food and what factors can cause such behavior of an animal.
To exclude serious violations in work of a gastrointestinal tract of an animal, kidneys, a liver and other systems of bodies, it is necessary to address the expert. The lack of appetite can be caused by existence of a foreign matter in a mouth of a cat. If the pet began to refuse sharply food, it can also demonstrate existence of parasites in an animal organism.
If the cat eats less usual during a disease, this quite natural phenomenon. But if the owner does not know about a disease, and the animal looks healthy and active, on refusal of food there can be following reasons:
- The food offered by the owner or a special forage is not pleasant. Animals as well as people, have the flavoring preferences. Some cats like fish, and other pets hate herring, but are drawn towards dairy and meat products. Therefore it is important to know flavoring preferences of the favourite and not to force it to eat food which to it not to liking.
- If the animal has free access to the street, it can eat in other place. Some cats show the instincts and with pleasure hunt mice, rats and birds therefore homemade food not especially interests them.
- The cats having obesity reluctantly eat food because of discomfort in a stomach and the long digestion eaten. It is not necessary to give to such animals a lot of food for once, it is better to divide food into several receptions.
Fasting days or daily starvation
Not only people, but also animals arrange themselves fasting days. In such a way cats clean an organism from harmful substances. Starvation can be caused by the following reasons:
- Problems with digestion of food. The temporary refusal of food can arise if the pet was too active after meal.
- Food which is badly acquired by a cat's organism was eaten, or the portion was more, than it is necessary.
- Someone offended the pet or the owner refused to give to a cat favourite delicacy, and instead of it palmed off an unattractive dish.
If the pet refuses food within a day, it is not considered a reason for a visit to the veterinarian, but if starvation dragged on for several days, the owner of a cat should address the expert quickly.
Long starvation is fraught with fatty dystrophy of a liver at cats who have excessive body weight. If the cat weighs too little, starvation is categorically contraindicated to her, owners have to feed the pet violently. If together with small appetite also desire to drink water vanishes, it is necessary to consult with the expert and to examine a pet.
The appetite of cats decreases depending on various physiological features . During puberty males eat smaller amount of food, and cats can refuse a forage during a techka or some days before approach of this period.
Cats very much do not love changes therefore at violation of a habitual way of life they can refuse food in protest or a severe stress. If in the house there was a shift recently or residents started repair, moved to other apartment, the animal can "go on hunger strike".
If the owner a long time was absent or did not find time for the pet, the cat can take offense and cease to eat. Such behavior of animals is characteristic in houses where family members often quarrel among themselves.
The animal can refuse food if its owner rearranged a bowl with a forage to other place. Cats often refuse food in the noisy place, at bright lighting. They will not eat at strangers and the situations causing in them a severe stress. The owner needs to be attentive to the pet, to play regularly with him, to take care and caress in relation to an animal.
Pregnancy and period after the delivery
The pregnant cat requires to herself special attention from the owner. On early terms of pregnancy toxicosis therefore the eaten food will cause not pleasure, but only nausea and unpleasant feelings in a stomach in it can torment her.
In day of genus of a cat seldom eat, as well as several days after the birth of kittens. The refusal of food during the postnatal period can have the following reasons:
- It is connected with fear of separation with her kids.
- The animal endured the most severe stress, and it needs some time for restoration.
- Heavy patrimonial process. If the cat does not eat during the postnatal period because childbirth was heavy and painful, it is necessary to leave an animal alone and not to feed violently.
If with lack of appetite there were other symptoms (slackness, temperature increase, a liquid chair, vomiting, drowsiness, a firm stomach), it is necessary to take an animal to veterinary clinic immediately.
It is not necessary to force an animal is if the cat refuses food because of recently undergone operation. Anesthetics which were used during surgical intervention dull feeling of hunger and slow down other physiological processes therefore one-day or two-day starvation in that case is norm.
If the animal strongly lost weight, needs to transfer it to clinical nutrition which will be appointed by the veterinarian depending on features and flavoring preferences of a pet. It is necessary to allow to drink that restoration after operation took place quicker.
If the animal has problems with a mouth (teeth crumble or drop out, gums inflamed), it is necessary to give it not a dry feed, but damp canned food which is easily acquired by an organism.
If the cat spits out the food offered by the owner which can be stale or prepared from products of poor quality. The owner needs to find out the reason of small appetite of an animal and to observe behavior of a pet. If the cat eats a forage with pleasure, but refuses usual meat, it should not be a reason for concern. At the time of delivery and during the postnatal period, after the postponed diseases and at puberty the refusal of food is considered norm.