- Aug 22, 2019
A cage for a dog – one more stumbling block among owners of dogs. Some hotly stand up for that the dog spent time in a cage, others categorically against, including it attempt at bases of wellbeing of a dog. Whether the cage is so terrible and whether it is necessary to your dog?
On a photo: a dog in a cage. Photo: flickr
Why to buy a cage for a dog?
The cage can be useful to a dog (or it is even irreplaceable) in some cases:
- air flight is necessary to you, and the dog is too great to fly in salon.
- you participate in actions (for example, competitions or exhibitions), both for you, and it is more convenient for a dog that a part of time she had a rest in a cage.
- you faced problems of behavior of a dog which are simpler for solving, having an opportunity sometimes to place it in a cage.
However purchase of a cage can be dangerous to a dog if the owner lays all hopes on education of a dog only on it. For example, if it seems to the owner that the cage will save its apartment from destruction, and the puppy spends the most part of time in a cage. It has pernicious effect on psychological (and physical) wellbeing of a puppy: it is boring for it to spend in a cage much time, it gets addictions (up to development of a stereotypy ) and when you at last let out the kid, it is overexcited. Besides, attempts to get out of a cage are fraught with injuries.
So a cage for a dog is definitely not a panacea, and it does not save you from need to bring up and train the pet in the correct behavior.
It is important correct to pick up the cage size. The dog in a cage has to have an opportunity to rise, lay down in any pose, to be developed. At the same time there has to be a place for toys and a bowl with water. That is length of a cage in which the dog will be at home has to be equal the smallest to length of the dog increased by two. And width – length of the dog increased by one and a half.
The dog should not spend in a cage more than four hours a day (in the sum).
On a photo: a dog in a cage. Photo: maxpixel
Do not forget that it is impossible just to cage a puppy and to lock there. That the dog quietly behaved in a cage, she needs to be accustomed to it competently. Schooling to a cage takes time so if moving or participation in competitions is necessary to you, it is worth thinking of accustoming the pet to a cage in advance.
If it is correct to accustom a dog to a cage and not to leave there too long, she perceives a cage as a safe shelter where it is possible to relax, and quietly remains there, without trying to crash out.
How to accustom a dog to a cage?
The dog is accustomed to a cage gradually. It is very important not to drive her into a corner and not to hold in a cage violently, otherwise you will impart only hatred to this subject and will acquire a set of problems.
Process of schooling of a dog to a cage demands time and patience.
- Take delicacy and entice a puppy into a cage. When he appears inside, praise and treat him, allow to leave right there. Again entice delicacy. So continue until the dog does not understand that she in her waits for a pleasant surprise. One more way – to teach a dog to touch on command by a target nose (for example, a sticker), to place a target on the party of a cage, opposite to an entrance, and to encourage a dog for each calling and contact with a target nose. If the dog is afraid to come into a cage, encourage for the fact that it touched it by a nose, put inside at least one paw and so on. The worst that you can make is violently to jostle the pet in a cage.
- If the dog was late in a cage at least for a second, right there praise and give still a delicacy piece. And so until it remains inside. Do not try to close a door at this moment!
- When the dog will be able to be in a cage with an open door at least several seconds, try to close a door, give to a dog delicacy, right there open a door and allow the pet to leave if he wants.
- Try to close a door for three seconds and open. If the dog sharply jumps out of a cage, so she still is rather afraid to remain inside. Return on the previous stage.
- Close a door for five seconds, then – on ten. And all this time you feed a dog. It is very important to open a door before it begins to be nervous.
- Give the command for calling a cage (for example, "Place") and on an exit from it.
- Give a dog the command to come into a cage, close a door and depart on a step backwards. Return, give to a dog delicacy and open a door. Gradually increase quantity of steps on which you depart. If the dog hasty jumps out as soon as you open a door, so you too force training process. It is worth returning on the previous stage. The dog has to remain quietly in a cage, even when you open a door.
- If the dog makes attempts to get out of a cage, do not panic. It means that you hurried and strongly overestimated requirements. Do not let out a dog when she is nervous. Instead order "to Lie!" and, as soon as she will obey, right there encourage and allow to leave. Also return on the previous stage.
- Gradually increase time of stay of a dog in a cage. But it does not mean that stay in a cage all the time has to be longer, than last time. From time to time give the command to come into a cage, you feed a dog and right there allow to leave.
- If you open a cage, and the dog remains inside, give it a large portion of delicacy. She it deserved.