- Sep 10, 2018
the Russian skewbald hound – a dog who has excellent intuition, high intelligence and unusual endurance. Thanks to such qualities, she became the great assistant for fans of hunting. If to look from the historical party, then it is possible to call breed young, but everything for quarter of the century it managed to reach distribution worldwide and to find popularity.
Officially breed the Russian skewbald hound was recognized in the 19th century, however hunting dogs with similar external data in the territory of Russia were bred long before this event. Earlier formation of breed was interfered by uncontrolled interpedigree crossing because of which at the dogs having one phenotype external characteristics began to change and to be lost working qualities.
When the community of the pedigree line was lost, and in each region various Canes Venatici began to appear, nothing remained to hunters how to buy hunting dogs abroad, and most often it were the English foxhounds.
At that time the British breed differed in stability, uniformity and gradually gained superiority in hunting. And here domestic representatives of the Russian hounds could not brag of excellent working qualities – to them did not get rage to a game and ability to modulatingly give a vote.
Naturally that the Russian manufacturers needed to remove own breed, and for this purpose the Russian dog гончак it was necessary to knit with other, more successful representatives – foxhounds, the French hounds, at the same time without forgetting about obligatory adaptation to the area.
Work was conducted in several breeding plants, and all breeds participating in this process are for certain unknown. Work was stopped during Civil war, and dogs practically disappeared, but manufacturers did not give up hopes, and the breed – the English-Russian hound as a result appeared.
Officially it was registered in 1925, and in the 40th in the country 5 breeding plants worked with it already. World War II could not but affect breed of hounds, but as it is not surprising, its qualities improved. However, to the detriment of quantity.
The English-Russian dogs could not meet fully expectations of manufacturers, and selection work was continued, but packs of the leading Russian manufacturers – Moscow, Kiev and Tula were already used. Thanks to harmonious work of selectors, persistence and the sequence there was a breed meeting the put requirements – the Russian skewbald hound.
of Feature of breed Russian skewbald hound (video)
In spite of the fact that representatives of various breeds participated in removal of skewbald hounds, nevertheless in appearance the similarity to foxhounds is noticeable. According to standard characteristic, it is the balanced, clever dog, the average size possessing a strong constitution. As for general characteristics of an exterior, it is typical for gonchak.
At dogs the gender distinction of individuals – males larger is noticeable, they have a wide skull and frame. Body weight in the standard description is not limited, but usually varies from 25 to 30 kg. Growth of dogs varies from 58 to 68 cm, a bough – from 55 to 65 cm
In official documents the Russian skewbald hound is described as follows:
- Golov's with a flat forehead, it is covered with a "dry" integument which emphasizes a rectilinear shape of a skull. The occipital hillock is present, but it is developed so-so. The muzzle has the wedge-shaped form. Lips are not loose-hanging, with dry skin, are well tightened, lower – fleshier. The mouth is equipped with the strong teeth covered with snow-white enamel, forming a nozhnitseobrazny bite. The muzzle terminates in the large lobe pigmented in black color. Eyes of an oval form, big, widely placed, with a speaking and clever glance. Ears are triangular, with roundish tips, the average size, fall to cheeks. Formation of a skin fold is allowed.
- Trunk. As well as the majority of hunting dogs, the Russian hounds possess a trunk of a rectangular format, the frame and a muscular corset are perfectly developed. A neck of an oval silhouette with massive withers that is especially expressed at males. The breast differs in depth, with wide, elastic edges. The back is short, with the rounded lumbar belt, a croup powerful and sloping. The inguinal area which is moderately tightened.
- of the Extremity. Harmonious, with perfectly developed shoulders, are put in parallel each other, with the expressed muscles and wide on point duty.
- Back extremities are a little delayed for a croup, frame strong and expressed, with the extended hips and steep insteps.
- Tail. the Acinaciform form, it is not stopped, powerful, at the basis wide, and declines on narrowing. In a quiet state is located low, during the movement rises vertically.
Wool and color
The Russian hound has dogs a short-haired cover, the dense skin which does not have wrinkles or folds. As an exception it is possible to note the line of a groin – there is a fold when the dog moves. Length of an ostevy hair differs – in a muzzle and paws it shortened, on a body its length is 4-5 cm, around hips and withers the standard allows a little extended wool cover. On a tail wool adjoins a dense bed that does it thicker and massivny.
The underfur is available for dogs, is developed well, but not too dense. It is capable to push away dirt and moisture. Availability of tows is considered a pedigree shortcoming. Exist representatives of 3 colors:
- with gray and skewbald wool;
- crimson and skewbald;
- black and skewbald.
Paws and area of a peritoneum are painted in white color, marks of a reddish, gray or reddish shade around a croup, shoulders, a skull. The standard does not limit the sizes, the area of a covering and quantity of spots. Existence of dark not intensive specks and dark arrows in temporal area is allowed.
Gallery: Russian skewbald hound (40 photos)
Hunter or pet
Most of representatives of hunting breeds have violent temperament, but not the Russian hound skewbald. These dogs are quite reserved and act deliberately that against the background of a sharp scent and rage to wild animals is unusual manifestation. But such complaisance – not accident, but result of long selection work.
Today hunting is rather a hobby, than an obligatory factor of survival therefore hounds even more often act as pets. But similar contents means obligatory compensation of loadings and the needs for hunting manifestations.
Methods of education of the pet directly depend on the role prepared for it. If the dog participates in hunting, then it is important to choose the kid from working parents. However, though at it high abilities will also be of genetics at the level, specialized training nevertheless will be required.
If it is planned to receive from the favourite excellent results of tests, then it is worth refusing the idea of acquisition of a puppy of a show class or at the casual manufacturer according to the announcement. No champion titles of parents received at exhibitions for external data exist confirmation that the dog will become the excellent hunter. Here the certificates received on tests of working qualities are the most important.
Besides, important aspect is continuity. Hunters at least in 3 generations are the best. It is natural that only experienced breeding manufacturers can give similar information, they also give a guarantee that the posterity has working skills. As for puppies to whom the role of pets is prepared, in this case it is simpler and simpler: it is possible not to pursue an exterior, choosing the pet from a pet-class.
of Trait of character of the Russian hounds
Representatives of this breed differ in high activity and playfulness, but also control as the excessive mobility at puppyish age can negatively affect health of the favourite will be required. It is important to allow a puppy to have a rest after the runnings or swimming. It is necessary to pay attention to gait: as soon as the dog became silent, so he needs a respite.
Having bought a dog of this breed, the family gets the faithful and devoted pet, and these qualities he will extend to all members. At hounds security qualities therefore the dog will not begin to guard the house adjoining territory or the house are not developed. But if owners are threatened by danger, he will not stand aside and will surely interfere.
As for contact or the attitude towards other pets then everything is especially individual. The majority of hounds, as well as borzois, with other animals can have quite good relations if they grow together. But it concerns other dogs and even cats, and here with rodents, polecats, parrots and other small living creatures the situation is more difficult – they often act as hunting objects.
Choosing a hound as a pet, it is important to understand that it has in blood hunting instincts, and they will surely be shown during walks. It is not recommended to suppress them completely, and it is better to turn to the necessary course. Try to keep the favourite on a lead in those places where its activity is inappropriate, and in a forest or park zone to lower from a lead that the dog was much run for butterflies, birdies, etc. But similar is possible only in that case when the dog completed a course of training and acquired obedience bases.
How to train
It is necessary to bring up a puppy since that moment as he stepped over a house threshold. It concerns the standard teams "Faugh!", "Place", "Sit" and the others. And here start a nagonka much later – from 10-11 months when the dog is created, his bone and muscular corset will get stronger. For coaching of the Russian hound is required obligatory assimilation of some teams:
- the pet has to start meal, having only got permission from the owner;
- the owner has to give food to a dog, at the same time accurately uttering the team "Otryshch!";
- the dog has to learn to go for the hunter, ideally – without being on a lead;
- it is important to bring up the indifferent relation to pets;
- having heard a hunting horn, the dog has to hurry to leave a forest zone.
The ideal period for a nagonka the late spring when the wood is dressed in foliage is considered, but tracks are soft. You should not hurry with a setup as if to do it when the dog did not manage to develop physically yet, then vocal chords and other departments of an organism can sustain damage. It is important that the dog by this moment already well acquired a complex of the main teams.
At the Russian skewbald hounds great makings of the hunter are had, but from the owner the help in their disclosure is necessary. The owner should take care that the pet as often as possible participated in departures and it is desirable in various natural zones – deciduous and coniferous forests, the marshland, fields, cuttings, etc.
Besides, experienced hunters know that catching of hares (white hares and hares) differs a little therefore it is important to take out a dog there where both species of a game live. The first hunting lessons should not be long – enough 3-4 hours. An ideal mentor of young growth is mother of posterity, but in this quality also other skilled dog can act. It not obligatory, but desirable condition of training.
Training of dogs of this breed will not cause difficulties in the people having experience. For beginners of complexity will arise inevitably, but at the correct approach and they can cope with a task. The trainer will be suited that dogs of this breed are inclined to please the owner and also their excellent memory.
Besides, in work it is important to provide the correct motivation – hounds appreciate a joint game or jog with obstacles more, than the received yum-yum.
Hunting from the Russian skewbald hound
Fans of hunting have quite natural doubts: and whether the dog in this case is necessary? Most of people manages to go shooting not so often, and here feeding, walking and other duties are constants. Besides, to teach a dog – too hard business. Especially as today there is a set of the gadgets capable to find subject to hunting. But experts claim: the dog for hunting is necessary. I allocate the important reasons of such decision:
- The dog is better than gadgets and hunters is capable to come to a game as modern technologies not every time find a small game. And hounds not only will find, but will surely expel her.
- Dogs provide time for preparation and aiming, and the hare will not manage to break practically from under legs.
- The brought dog will bring the hit production that is very convenient during winter hunting and at other difficulties of movement. And it is almost impossible to lose a game with such partner.
Whatever one may do, and no gadgets are capable to replace the faithful companion. And hunting will be the most productive and will give more pleasures, than usual "walk" with a gun in search of a game. But also at hunting with hunting dogs including the defects are hounds, :
- The hunter who does not have necessary experience will not be able to train qualitatively a dog, so the dog in process will stir more, than to help.
- Not recommend to go to any animal with hounds, it is the best of all to take them to hunt wolves, foxes, hares, boars, raccoon dogs.
- When training it is necessary to show tolerance and patience.
the Interesting facts about dogs (video)
In training in hunting business there is a mass of nuances, serious approach is required. But the made efforts will not go to waste, and joint hunting will give pleasure both to the owner, and the pet, and will strengthen between them relations because of the general hobby.
The Russian skewbald hound – the breed of dog which passed the long period of selection therefore in many aspects it surpasses other gonchak. Such dogs can be got as pets, but it is recommended to the people to do it leading active lifestyle. The dog will be infinitely devoted, faithful and will go for the owner anywhere.