- Sep 1, 2018
For those who love power and kindness, the breed of dog the Newfoundland dog will approach, they are similar to big soft bears. These dogs of ancient origin already more than one hundred years live near people. They are clever, obedient and kind, are good security guards and rescuers.
The dog rescuer, according to researchers, appeared as breed on the island of Newfoundland many millennia back. There is no exact time of origin because of complexity of definition. These animals it is from the cold and severe land, they are not afraid of an environment and water. They without hesitation will rush in a reservoir to save the sinking person.
As the island of Newfoundland is famous for the furious climate, on the basis of it there is a beautiful legend of origin of this breed. Once long ago the Lord, admiring the created world, noticed the people living on the snow island who froze on wind and hardly coped with the storming nature. Having thought, God decided to create him the assistant from fauna. Having taken as a basis of a bear and having much worked over his plasticity and endurance, God created a dog rescuer, the friend and the assistant to fishermen.
Scientists have other views of origin of breed, they are divided and dazzle with amendments and inaccuracies:
- The simplest version says that the breed arose in the natural way, evolving and adapting to an environment.
- Other version indicates origin from wild bear dogs who were so loved by Vikings and delivered on the island.
- The third option the most mysterious: Newfoundland dogs occurred from the Tibetan mastiff. How the breed got on the island, having rounded a half of the world, the version does not specify.
Description of breed
Dogs of this breed very large, the maximum weight – 70 kg. Growth in withers at a bough reaches 60 cm, at dogs – 71 cm Newfoundland is similar to a bear the powerful torso and a wide back. The case of a straight line, according to standards of breed length from withers to a tail has to be equal to distance from the earth to withers in a back. The head of a dog round with a wide skull.
The muzzle is short, skintight to a skull, covered with short wool and deeply put eyes. Eyes of usually dark brown color, medium-sized. A nose wide with well developed nostrils. Coloring of a nose depends on the general color: if black-and-white, then his nose dogs have a black Newfoundland dog, with a brown color a nose brown too.
Wool dense, long, and it is a lot of. From above hairs are rough, and the dense underfur is to the touch softer. Dogs need the lower, not getting wet wool layer not to receive overcooling during immersion in cold water.
The color is divided into several types: black, dark brown, brown and black with a red shade.
Ears look small in comparison with a huge skull, they are densely pressed to the head that makes a dog very similar to a bear. On paws between fingers there are membranes.
of Feature of breed Newfoundland dog (video)
It is impossible to find any minus in character of the Newfoundland dog: the dog is noble, kind, very obedient and patient. A dog diver with whom not terribly on the edge of the earth, it is ready to offer itself for the sake of rescue of human life. The dog perfectly gets on with children and adults. He differs in steadiness and tranquility, practically nothing can enrage him therefore Newfoundland dogs often work in police stations or guides.
The dog very much becomes attached to one owner and feeds for him selfless love until the end of the life. The Newfoundland dog separated from the owner will grieve very much and it is bad to feel.
Divers are generously allocated with mind, they very sensitively treat intonation of a voice of the person, catch his mood. Therefore it is impossible to resort to mentor techniques of training, it is necessary to do everything delicately and gently, the dog without shout and threats will understand that from it is wanted by the owner. It is necessary to stock up with patience as the breed is by nature sluggish and quiet.
Dogs very much like to swim, it is better for thicket to drive them on reservoirs is their elements in the summer. In the bathroom of dogs it is worth accustoming to water procedures since childhood as they love water, and detergents not really.
It is excellent dogs partners. With such defender it is not terrible to release to walk children. If it is good to do in the spare time with a dog, then she can quietly stay at home one for the whole day and is true wait for return of the owner. Divers hard transfer separation from favourite people.
- The fact about the biggest Newfoundland dog weighing 117 kg is in the history registered.
- The Soviet scientists tried to develop new breed on the basis of Newfoundland dogs and to bring the same powerful dog, only about an aggression genome. All attempts to embitter the good-natured person turned out a complete fiasco.
- In the ancient time powerful dogs used for transportation of heavy freights and their pulling from water.
- Saviors are capable to feel diseases of people and often lick painful points of the owner.
- From dense hair of dogs it is possible to knit scarfs, mittens and caps which will save in the most severe winter.
- Except the listed colors, there are nyyufa of gray color. This color is recognized by the American club, but in the territory of the Russian Federation such dogs are registered in the passport with a line "the color which is not recognized as FCI".
Gallery: breed Newfoundland dog (40 photos)
Leaving, maintenance and food
It is possible to support divers both on the street, and in the apartment. They do not differ in special activity and do not need the constant movement, they generally lie on a cool floor at home. Getting such dog in the apartment, it is necessary to consider that from it there will be a lot of wool. Dogs need constant comb-out and care of a dense head of hear. It is necessary to wash the Newfoundland dog once a month, it is recommended to use dry shampoos not to wash away natural lubricant of skin and an underfur.
This breed is genetically predisposed to a set of excess weight therefore it will be necessary to watch food of the pet carefully. It is possible to feed dogs with both a dry feed, and natural food, but it is necessary to remember balance of calories, protein, cellulose and carbohydrates. The dog has to receive quantity of a protein necessary to it and vitamins in order that it is good grow in puppyish age and to be healthy further.
For Newfoundland dogs it is necessary to carry out simple manipulations:
- 1-2 times a week are accurate to clean ears wadded tampons from the collected sulfur, without getting to acoustical pass. It is necessary to examine regularly visually ears, excepting the probability of formation of inflammatory process.
- To comb out time in a week of a dog twice more often in the period of a molt, it is desirable to carry out regularly a grooming, especially to the summer period as to an animal hot.
- Regularly to cut claws, otherwise the dog will be hurt by fingers because of a curvature.
- Regularly to walk.
It is necessary to accustom to all procedures of a puppy from the first days, differently then, considering the weight and the sizes of a dog, there will be problems. By 3 months the puppy of the diver has to acquire the main teams: "faugh", also "place" "is impossible". Begin to train big breeds earlier, than all others because at teenage age they are very active and destructive.
Divers very well get on with other dogs, cats and smaller animals. With any number of children they feel comfortable, like to play and spend with them cheerfully time. But should know several rules of conduct if you decided to get such dog, having children:
- At teenage age it is better not to admit a dog to very small children, in a game rush the heavy puppy can do much harm.
- It is worth looking after children and to explain to them that the weak teenage puppy not up to the end grew also its frame so far very fragile, and children, dragging a dog for a tail and paws, can put irreparable mutilations to a dog.
- It is impossible to allow children to ride a dog, her backbone is not adapted for carrying of freight.
of Data on training
Training on water, as a rule, is not required to this breed, dogs know what needs to be done. You should not be overzealous with such trainings: to pull along something, to bring a heavy thing, etc. because the puppy has no strong bones yet and can do much harm to itself.
All process of training has to be constructed at the game. Should be remembered, that dogs are by nature sluggish and they need time for digestion of information. But they have a strong intelligence and excellent memory that considerably will facilitate training processes. There can be problems connected with obstinacy. The diver, without wishing to execute commands, can just lay down and quietly look at the owner who with delicacy in hands runs around.
Based on intelligence of Newfoundland dogs, cynologists advise to bring pets on training platforms that animals looked behind work of professional dogs and tried to imitate them. Dogs begin to repeat behavior of the trained relatives, and training becomes fast and easy.
Big and powerful dogs live not for long. The big organism wears out quicker especially as Newfoundland dogs are created for service to people with full devotion. Life expectancy hardly reaches a point in 10 years.
This breed is inclined to the following diseases :
- heatstrokes, overheating;
- lack of hormones of a thyroid gland;
- enterita, colitis;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- заворот centuries.
The most frequent diseases at this breed – a dysplasia of a coxofemoral joint and congenital heart disease.
The people living in hot climate are not recommended to get dogs divers. After all it is necessary to consider origin of an animal and his appearance, Newfoundland dogs very much suffer from a heat, their skin can become covered by sores and inflammations.
the biggest breeds of dog (video)
Do not advise to get a dog and that who lives in malometrazhka. These dogs can live in the apartment, but they need a scope.